Tonight’s dinner was an easy black bean soup with rice. Ever since we took a trip to Tampa this winter and ate at the Columbia Cafe at the Tampa Bay History Center, I have been craving a big bowl of black bean soup served around perfectly seasoned rice.
We found a black bean soup recipe online that turned out a good soup with an assertive flavor.
Black Bean Soup with Cilantro Lime Rice
Serves 4, Based on the soup recipe from Once Upon A Chef
For the Rice:
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 T olive oil
- 1/2 bunch cilantro leaved, stems removed, roughly chopped
- salt to taste
For the Soup:
- 2 T olive oil
- 2 onions, roughly chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 (15-oz) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 5 cups water
- 2 – 3 low sodium bouillion cubes
- 3/4 t dried Mexican oregano
- 1 t ground coriander
- 2 t ground cumin
- 1/8 t ancho chili powder
- 1/4 t smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- Juice of half a lime
- Sour cream for serving (optional)
- 1 avocado, sliced (optional)
- Handful chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Make the rice in a rice cooker or on the stove. If making rice on the stove, boil 1 1/2 cups water and add 1 cup rice. Cover and cook on low heat for 15 minutes, then remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes covered. Remove lid and fluff with a fork. If using a rice cooker, add rice and water and cook following the manufacturers instructions. After the rice is cooked, stir in the olive oil, cilantro, lime juice and salt.
- While the rice is cooking, heat the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the onions, garlic and carrots. Sautee for about 8 minutes until the mixture is softened and begins to stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Add the beans, water, bouillon cubes and spices. Cover and simmer on medium heat for about fifteen minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup until it is smooth. Alternately, carefully blend in batches in a regular blender, being careful to vent the lid and avoid splatters.
- Add the lime juice to the pureed soup.
- To serve, place a scoop of rice in the center of a large bowl. Ladle soup around the rice. Top with cilantro, avocado slices and sour cream.